Sausage and Bean Stew with Wilted Courgettes
This is the written recipe from my second websiode of Sophie Cooks. Much to my delight, it has been extremely popular and lots of people have adapted the recipe to suit them. Either by making it veggie by removing the sausage and adding more beans and vegetable, using pork mince instead of sausage meat, adding bacon, or changing the beans to what they happen to have in their cupboards, which is exactly what I hoped would happen.
Please let me know you variations and if you would like to me to cook or write about anything else in particular.
Turn to this recipe when it’s cold outside, you don’t particularly fancy venturing out and you need something warm and comforting in your belly. This soup is brilliant for adults and children at any time of the day. It contains lots of carbs to keep you going, and the best part is that it’s even better the next day, so make a little extra!
Total 45 minutes
Preparation 10 minutes
Cooking 40 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 pork sausages, skin removed (use a well-flavoured sausage like a Toulouse or Cumberland)
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 sticks celery, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 tsp herbs de Provence or fresh rosemary and thyme
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
400g cooked haricot or cannellini beans
salt and black pepper
2 tbsp chopped parsley
For the wilted courgettes
4 large courgettes
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice ½ a lemon
Salt and pepper
To serve (optional)
Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, grated
- Place a large casserole dish on the stove and add the olive oil along with the chopped onion, garlic, celery, leek and carrot. Season with salt, pepper and your herbs de Provence and cook for a further 5–6 minutes on a low heat with the lid on.
- While this is cooking, remove the sausage meat from their skins and break into small pieces. Turn the heat up under the vegetables and add in the sausage meat. Cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly browned and caramelised.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for 5-6 minutes on a lower heat. Stirring a few times in between.
- Add the stock and the beans and simmer for 20–30 minutes.
- While this is cooking you can make the courgettes to accompany it. Ribbon them using a speed or swivel head peeler. Place a large frying pan on the stove and add the oil. When nice hot, add the courgettes and cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place the courgettes into the bottom of your serving bowl. Stir the chopped parsley through the stew and ladle over the courgettes. Grate over your pecorino or parmesan and enjoy.