Chicken Quesadillas, Caramelised Onions and Peppers
A take on a dish that went down extremely well from my last book Home at 7,Dinner at 8. It’s super quick to make, with minimal shopping as most of these ingredients will probably be in your cupboard. Also a great way to use up leftovers.
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
• 4 tortilla wraps
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp sherry or red wine vinegar
• 300g cooked chicken, shredded
• 2 tbsp Tomato puree
• 3 peppers, you choose the colours
• 2 red onions
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 1 small bunch coriander 35–40g
• 75g grated cheese, cheddar, mozzarella or even goats cheese log works really well
To serve (optional)
• Cut the peppers and the onions into thin slices. Discard the seeds, stalk and skin.
• Place a frying pan on a medium heat and add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Put the sliced peppers and onions into the pan along with the chilli flakes. Cook for 6-8 minutes before adding a pinch of salt and the vinegar.
• Cook for another 5 minutes on a low heat until they are soft and sweet.
• Once all the liquid has evaporated from the pan, add the shredded chicken and mix well.
• Next, spread 2 or the 4 tortillas with the tomato puree. (Alternatively you can use leftover roasted vegetable from last nights dinner…)
• Place a griddle pan on the stove and turn the heat to a medium setting. Put one of the tortillas that has been spread with tomato puree into the pan.
• Lay on half of the pepper, chicken and onion mix and spread put evenly. Followed by half the cheese and a good scattering of half the coriander. Place the plain tortilla on top and allow too cook for 3 minutes before turning over and cooking the other side.
• Once you can see that the cheese has melted. Remove your now cooked Enchilada from the pan and repeat the process with the other pair of tortillas.
• Serve with a big spoonful of sour cream, smashed avocado and a few pickled chillies if you have them.
TIP This can also be done in a frying pan if you don’t have a griddle.
These are also great cold in lunch boxes or on a picnic.